Red Wings, Generals 4th-Annual Alumni Game slated for Friday night, December 8th at the Dort Federal Event Center
Annual Event to raise money and awareness for the Kris Perani Hockey Foundation
Flint, Mich. – The Flint Generals Alumni will once again host the Detroit Red Wings Alumni for a star-studded contest at the newly renovated Dort Federal Event Center in Flint, Michigan. Legendary Red Wings and Flint Generals players will face off in a special alumni game on Friday night, December 8th at 7:00 PM. All of the event fundraising proceeds will benefit the Kris Perani Hockey Foundation.
“For the fourth consecutive year, it will be great to see the guys back on the ice and in the crowd, playing the Red Wings alumni team, one of the greatest franchises in the National Hockey League (NHL),” said longtime Generals defenseman Lorne Knauft. “Hockey fans and sports fans, Firebirds fans, Generals fans and Red Wings fans alike, won’t want to miss it.”
Red Wings fan favorites Darren McCarty, Mickey Redmond and Joe Kocur will headline the NHL squad and will be joined by several notable Wings alumni including right winger and 50 goal-scorer, John Ogrodnick, right winger Brent Fedyk, center, Kevin Miller and defenseman, John Blum
Several of Knauft’s Generals teammates will also be back on the ice including right wing Jim Duhart, defenseman Stephane Brochu, left wing Jason Payne, defenseman Keith Whitmore, right wing Jason Glover and left wing John Heasty.
Despite the all-star lineup, the family-friendly event won’t break the bank as tickets start at $12 dollars and may be purchased at the Dort Federal Box Office or by visiting www.tickemaster.com. Groups of 10 or more are eligible for $2 discounts. Suite rentals are also available by e-mailing Karla Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alumni Game at a Glance:
When: Friday, December 8th 7:00 PM
Where: Dort Federal Event Center, 3501 Lapeer Road, Flint
Tickets: $12, $16, $20 & $26 – available at Dort Federal Box Office or www.ticketmaster.com
Dort Federal Event Center Box office number and hours:
Monday – Friday 9:00 AM thru 5:00 PM
About The Kris Perani Hockey Foundation – The foundation was created in 2007 in loving memory of Kris Perani. Mrs. Perani loved watching all levels of youth hockey from the mites being put into position to the Bantams with their hard hitting competitive attitude. She would have been proud to support the foundation that was created in her name. She understood the financial commitment of hockey from house league to the AAA travel leagues. The relationships built within hockey are priceless. Help support youth hockey by making a tax deductible contribution to the KPHF today.
The Kris Perani Hockey Foundation Mission Statement – We are an organization whose goal is to provide hockey players in need with financial assistance. The benefit of sponsoring hockey players in need will strengthen the hockey community and have a positive impact on the chosen nominees and their families.
Live and Silent Auctions and 50/50 Raffle to Benefit the Kris Perani Hockey Foundation – There will be a live and silent auction running throughout the event on December 8th that will include the following items:
Detroit Red Wings jerseys will be auctioned live “off the backs” of Mickey Redmond, Darren McCarty and Joe Kocur. Silent auction items will include: Flint Generals Alumni signed jersey by John Heasty, Detroit Red Wings 2015 alumni jerseys by Sergei Samsonov and Ted Lindsay, Detroit Red Wings signed sticks from Kindl and Glendening and signed Red Wings pucks from Ericsson, Franzen and Smith along with Flint Firebirds assorted specialty warm up jerseys.
About The Arena – The storied Dort Federal Event Center has been a sports and entertainment hub for Flint for close to five decades. In addition to being the current home of the Ontario Hockey League’s Flint Firebirds, it was the former home of the Generals (1969-85, 1992-2010), Spirits (1985-90), and the Bulldogs (1991-92).
Scheduled Detroit Red Wings & Flint Generals Alumni Rosters
(Subject to change)
* Mickey Redmond – Former right winger and 10 year NHL veteran, Redmond had back to back 50 goal seasons for the Red Wings in 1972-73 and 1973-74 before joining the Red Wings broadcast team. He played his junior hockey with the Ontario Hockey League’s Peterborough Petes.
*Darren McCarty – As a member of four Red Wings’ Stanley Cup championship teams, McCarty played the role of enforcer for much of the last two decades and teamed up with Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby to form the notorious “Grind Line”. McCarty played all but two of his 15 NHL seasons with the Red Wings, scoring 127 goals and recording 1,477 penalty minutes in his career.
* Joe Kocur – Known for his physical play, Kocur – one half of the “Bruise Brothers” with Bob Probert – was one of the most penalized players in NHL history, amassing 2,519 penalty minutes in stints with the Red Wings, Rangers and Canucks.
* Brent Fedyk – Drafted by the Red Wings, the right wing suited up for 12 teams in five leagues including the Flyers and the Rangers.
*John Blum – former standout defenseman for the University of Michigan, a bruising defenseman who played parts of 13 seasons in the NHL including stops in Edmonton, Boston and Detroit.
*Pat Peake – all-time leading goal scorer for the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers and a 1st round pick and member of the Washington Capitals in the NHL.
* John Ogrodnick – Right wing posted a career-high 55 goals and 50 assists with the Red Wings during the 1984-85 season and finished his NHL career in 1993 with 402 goals and 425 assists.
* Kevin Miller – Michigan State graduate played on the U.S. National Team before making the jump to the NHL in 1988. He played for 10 NHL teams including the Detroit Red Wings.
* Wayne Presley – Right wing first suited up for the Chicago Blackhawks in 1984 where he posted a career-high 32 goals and 29 assists two years later.
* Rolf Nilsen – Left wing from Norway and Cape Coral, Fla. is a former ski jumper in his fifth season with the Red Wing Alumni. Nilsen is the owner of the newly renovated Dort Federal Event Center and the OHL’s Flint Firebirds.
* Sergei Kharin – forward played for the Winnipeg Jets in the National Hockey League and for Krylia Sovetov Moscow in the Soviet Hockey League. He was the first Soviet born player to play a regular season game for the Jets.
* Brian Rolston – Born in Flint, Michigan, the forward won a Stanley Cup championship with the New Jersey Devils in 1995 and has represented the United States of America three times in Olympic competition for ice hockey. In the Salt Lake City Olympics of 2002, he won the Silver Medal with Team USA.
* Jon Finstrom – Center from New Baltimore, Mich. has 11 professional seasons under his belt and was twice voted the best two-way player in the United Hockey League with the Port Huron Border Cats.
Flint Generals Alumni Roster
* Lorne Knauft #6 – The defenseman played in eight leagues, including eight seasons with the Generals. He posted a career-high 59 points during the 1996-97 season and was part of the 1999-2000 Colonial Cup championship team.
* Jim Duhart #19 – The right winger suited up for 11 teams, including seven seasons with the Generals. He posted 198 goals while in Flint.
* Stephan Brochu #5 – Drafted by the Rangers, the defenseman tallied a career-high 72 points during the 1997-98 season with the Generals and closed out his professional career with in Flint in 2001.
* Ross Wilson #42 – Right wing suited up for 14 teams in five leagues during his career. He tallied a career-high 53 goals and 56 assists for the Generals during the 1996-97 season.
* Keith Whitmore #7 – The defenseman got his start in the Ontario Hockey League before joining the ECHL and, then, signing with the Generals in 1993 where he posted a career-high 19 goals and 59 assists that season.
* Jason Glover #24 – The right wing played three of his 11 professional seasons with the Generals, posting 101 goals and 116 assists.
* John Heasty #14 – The left wing first took the ice in Flint with the Bulldogs in 1991 and, later, with the Generals, from 1993-98.
*Rob Laurie #33 a former standout goaltender for Western Michigan University, Rob had a 10 year professional career in the WPHL and Europe
*Lee Jelenic #24 former member of Yale University who later joined the Flint Generals in the early 2000s in his professional career
*Brent Daugherty#29 played three years in the OHL with Sudbury and London and three years of professional hockey which included time with the IHL’s Flint Spirits and UHL’s Flint Generals
*Chad Grills#21 center iceman played in the OHL with Peterborough and the Soo in advance of a 10 year professional career which included the Flint Generals in the mid-90s
*Jason Payne#67 played two years in the OHL with London and Barrie and thirteen professional seasons, including three with the Flint Generals
*Robbie Nichols#12 played three years in the OHL with Kitchener and North Bay and nine years of professional hockey. Coached professionally for eleven seasons and was recognized as coach of the year for the UHL’s Flint Generals in 1996-97.
*Ange Guzzo#4 played four years of professional hockey including one season with the CoHL’s Flint Bulldogs.
*Dale Greenwood#27 Center started his career in Flint in 1999, helping the Generals capture the Colonial cup in 2000 and playing through the 2002-03 season.
*Trevor Bremner #32 played four seasons of professional hockey including one with the UHL’s Flint Generals in the late 90’s.